Cyber-attacks are becoming more prevalent. It isn’t just the larger companies who are now constantly under threat from attack. Every business that uses the internet is a target. As larger businesses become more security aware and increase their in-house cyber-security, the more the attackers turn to smaller businesses who they consider an ‘easy target’.
Tip: Ensure your staff are cyber aware! Research tells us that it is generally your staff who are the biggest cyber security threat. It is important to invest in staff awareness training.
Note: 50% of the worst breaches are caused by inadvertent human error
Note: The experts say open Wi-Fi networks prove ‘child’s play’ for cyber-criminals.
CT Business Solutions (N Mcr) are a Cyber Essentials Accredited Implementer, allowing us to prepare businesses to proactively manage cyber threats and reduce the risk of attack.
You can never be totally safe, but most online attacks can be prevented or identified with basic security practices for your organisation, people, network, applications and systems. These security practices are as important as locking your doors or putting your cash in a safe. You can manage your online security in the same way you would protect any other aspect of your business. This is becoming a business necessity.
Basic steps you can take immediately.
- Ensure your anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware are up-to-date. Free products do not offer the level of security you need, always use a reputable product that offers proactive security patching and updates.
- Install Firewalls or similar at the boundary of your network.
- Have extensive off premises backups, i.e. a cloud solution.
- Beware of phishing, vishing and smishing scams.
- Make your staff aware that Banks / HMRC would never ask you to confirm any confidential information over email or phone.
- Advise your staff NOT to open any email attachments that they are not expecting. CT Business Solutions offer a “forward to us for clearance service” to all our clients on our managed proactive service plan.
- Implement a strong password policy. Include capitals, numbers and symbols. Do not use the same password for multiple sites.
- Ensure that all staff are fully trained and knowledgeable on the importance of cyber security. Staff training is severely under-utilised, and yet lack of training is is the biggest cause of data-breaches.
- Ensure that your customers and suppliers are following essential cyber security rules. It is quite feasible that they could pass viruses to you unknowingly.
No one is infallible, but there is no excuse for not putting in place security measures that will make it extremely difficult for a cyber-attack to take place. As the level of techniques used by cyber-criminals to infiltrate companies IT infrastructure grows, it has never been more important to protect yourself and your company’s business data.
Your IT more often than not is the backbone of your company. Would you survive as a business without it? Would you survive as a business if someone stole or held your business data to ransom?
CT Business Solutions (N Mcr) offer an inspection service and are able to implement techniques to drastically reduce your risk of a cyber-breach. Get in touch to discuss options available to you. Tel : 0161 798 4336